Monday, August 28, 2006

Devon Guild of Craftsman - Bovey Tracey

We have had a wonderful weekend. We found a really interesting Craft show that I just had to tell you about. I saw some of the BEST textile art I've seen in ages. I can't show you pictures...but I can give you the websites so that you can see them for yourselves. I'm trying to make this more on a feature of this blog...not just me going on about what I make...but about what I buy from other indie designers or see. England is full of wonderful artists and because they aren't as organzied in a way on the net like in the States...you don't get to hear about them as much.

The website for the guild is www.crafts.org.uk.

The first is a wonderful team of sisters from Lyme Regis that use recycled wool to make some of the extreme sweaters that could be worn I've seen. They are absolutely gorgeous and funky. Take a look at the website: http://www.kathrens.co.uk/pagesB/kathrens.html They are expensive...but are worth looking out just for the inspiration and awe of them.

The next I'll feature is Yuli Somme. She was born in Norway, but moved to Deven in 1962. She makes wonderful art out of felt. The one that attracted my attention first, was a felt wall hanging of chickens. I'm getting a real thing about chickens for some reason. These were so well done and made me want to get the felt making kit out again! She doesn't have this hanging on her webpage, but she does have some similar so go check out what is has going on. I might have to do one of her workshops sometime....it would be cool to have a go with her! Webpage is ... http://www.yulisomme.co.uk/ She does talk about Cocoon's on her webpage also. These are burial shrouds that she is making with the help of fellow felter Anne Belgrave. This is a extremely eco-friendly way of being buried.

I'll cover a few more as the week progresses. I couldn't believe all the cool stuff from Kumihimu to beading. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

Knittingmummy said...

I took a look at those websites the one by the sisters is great, how cool are they. Imagine thinking those up and then knitting them.LOL.

Unknown said...

I know...it is amazing! The are very expensive! But you could see the time and expertise that went into them!

CraftyPerson said...

I love the way your blog is going...

Unknown said...

I really enjoy talking about other crafters, I'm so behind though. Wish I had the time to keep! Maybe one day...HA HA HA!!!

Alice said...

Wow! Those sites are brilliant. How much would I love a blue beaded jacket by those knitting sisters. Thanks for the inspiration. I enjoyed looking at those sites.